PIERCE COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT REMAINS OPEN
Pierce County Superior Court remains open and committed to providing essential services in a manner that is as safe and responsible as possible.
The Court will continue to operate pursuant to the Emergency Orders issued over the past two weeks
- All criminal and civil jury trials are suspended until at least April 27, 2020 (see Emergency Order #5) ;
- In-custody criminal arraignments, bail hearings, and in-custody pleas and sentences will still occur (see Emergency Order #5 )
- Civil bench trials may occur with the agreement of all parties and the permission of the Judicial Department. All attorneys, parties and witnesses must appear remotely via phone or video. Contact your assigned Judicial Department if you are interested in holding a bench trial with these conditions (see Emergency Order #4 and Emergency Order #5 )
- Parties may still note and file civil motions, which will be considered on the pleadings only, unless telephonic argument is requested by the Court. Motions must still be confirmed. Proposed orders must be included with each motion. (see Emergency Order #4 )
- With the exception of most residential unlawful detainers, all properly scheduled civil hearings and proceedings before Commissioners will be held, without oral argument or via remote appearances. Most ex parte matters may be submitted electronically with the clerk’s office. Ex parte mail fees are temporarily waived (see Emergency Order #4 and Emergency Order #10 )
- Pierce County Juvenile Court is conducting limited proceedings using remote appearances (see Emergency Order #7 )
- Western State Hospital is conducting proceedings using remote appearances (see Emergency Order #8 )
Please continue to check the Pierce County Superior Court website frequently as the Emergency Orders are subject to change and additional Emergency Orders may issue. Questions about individual cases should be directed to the assigned Judicial Department, Criminal Division Presiding Judge (for unassigned criminal cases) or the Presiding Judge (for unassigned civil cases).
DUE TO THE CURRENT HEALTH CRISIS PIERCE COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT HAS SUSPENDED NEW JURY SERVICE COMMITMENTS - NO JURORS ARE NEEDED MARCH 16th THROUGH APRIL 24th.
If you have received a summons for jury duty during that time you are excused from service. If you would like to serve at a later date please contact Jury Administration at email@example.com. All jurors seated on jury panels already in progress are expected to return as directed by your assigned courtroom.
If you receive a jury notification card for jury service on or after April 27th you are still required to respond.
Please check the website for the latest updates.
This matter comes before the Court on the COVID-19 public health emergency in Washington State.
Posted on March 17, 2020
Posted on January 9, 2020
Posted on December 20, 2019
Posted on December 5, 2019
Superior Court Administration
930 Tacoma Ave South
Room 334 County-City Bldg.
Tacoma, WA 98402
Phone: (253) 798-3654