The Pierce County Fire Marshal and Department of Emergency Management wants to wish everyone a happy and safe 4th of July. The best way to safely enjoy the 4th is to watch a public fireworks display conducted by professionals. However, if you decide to purchase fireworks when they go on sale June 28, and use them if they are legal where you live, be sure to practice good firework safety.
Be Prepared… before you light fireworks
- Only use fireworks purchased from state licensed fireworks stands—illegal fireworks are subject to immediate confiscation and possible criminal charges.
- Store fireworks out of children’s reach.
- Keep pets safe indoors.
- Always keep water handy.
Be Safe… when lighting fireworks
- Only adults should light fireworks.
- Only use fireworks outdoors.
- Do not throw fireworks or hold in your hand.
- Protect your eyes.
- Light one firework at a time and move away quickly—never relight a “dud."
Be Responsible… after you finish
- Soak used fireworks in water.
- Be considerate and clean up used fireworks.
- Remember firework debris belong in the trash, NOT the recycle bin.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
For more information or to find out if fireworks are legal in your area, please visit the “Stay Safe and Legal this 4th of July” webpage.
Sheri Badger, Pierce County Emergency Management